Thursday, March 25, 2010

America Left

I was driving home from my aunt's this evening and was flipping through XM radio. I stumbled upon America Left and paused for a bit just to see what they were saying.

The host was Mark Something-or-Other, I didn't quite catch the name. This was about 7:45 edt if anyone actually cares to look it up. He had a caller who identified himself as a democrat, but a small business owner with some more conservative views when it comes to business.

The caller asked the host what they, meaning the democrats, had to gain by the Bush tax cuts expiring and said he didn't understand why the host and his groupies were excited about it. To this the host replied, "That will be more income." Period. Long pause.

If it hadn't been for the seatbelt, I would have fallen out of my chair. The host actually believes that increased taxes will lead to more income. I'm not sure if he meant for the people or for the government, but does that matter? Neither would be true.

The caller began to quote figures he'd found on the government's own reports that showed that tax revenues went up after the tax cuts. The host became agitated and began talking over the caller and telling the caller that he didn't know what he was talking about.

The host had no factual argument whatsoever to support his claims and when he couldn't win on principle he resorted to name calling and ultimately hung up on the protesting caller while moving on to a discussion with his staff on how the Bush tax cuts caused the current deficit.

I can't tell you what happened next. At this point, I'd heard enough to reaffirm my own views and changed the channel.

3 comments:

  1. ...and that's an example of why Liberal, Progressive, Left, Communist (whatever they're calling themselves now)radio always fails...even after stealing $875,000 of taxpayer funding from The Gloria Wise Boys and Girls Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yelling over and then ridiculing the differing view is much like swearing because you have clearly lost the argument. This same behavior has been modeled by the current congress (and president by the way) ie "I know better than you. You have no valid position or information. You are no longer allowed to speak. By the way, everyone laughs at the things you say anyway. Now shut up so I can continue my program as I want it." Freedom of speech works when we all speak freely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's one of the things that annoyed me from the very start about our "wonderful" (rolls eyes) president. Even during his debates he talked over people, was arrogant and had no interest in listening to anyone else. Is this really who we want as a president? But then again in arguing with my very liberal friends... they loved this in him...

    ReplyDelete