Saturday, July 10, 2010

My birds, my birds

And since we all need warm fuzzies after that last post, here are the latest pictures of my birds. 


This is one of my five reds. They are about 18 weeks old now and I expect eggs anytime.


Buffy and Flag. They are two girls from my younger flock. No eggs from them until September or October. Since naming them, I have discovered that every chicken owner with Buff Orpingtons names one Buffy. I'm so original. The second most popular name seems to be Nugget.


This is Dinner, I mean Woody. He earned himself a 2-week stay of execution last weekend when I decided he wasn't quite big enough. Unfortunately he's been such a good boy this week, I'm having second thoughts about eating him. His brother Roosty will have to go first.





Last picture for today: one of my 2 Barred Rock girls. These birds make the most nasal sounding clucking. I wonder if all Barred Rocks are like that or if mine have deviated septums or something. I know, I know, chickens probably don't have nasal septums like people. I'm off to ponder that one for a while. 

Have a nice weekend, peeps!

14 comments:

  1. Kristin,

    Better look out for PETA trolls talking that way! LOL

    Getting an education on the names (not the pet ones) of the different types of chickens, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In that case, I forgot to list a few of the breeds.

    Woody is a Silver laced Wyandotte. Flag is an Easter Egger and Frizz is a frizzled Eater Egger.

    Woody has been crowing his head off all morning. I'm rethinking my statement about not eating him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here, I always thought that the early bird gets the worm. In Woody's case, he may get the ax!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your readers will start a "stay of execution" if you keep introducing your birds to everyone. Thanks for sharing the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Y'know, Odie, I haven't tried that. No need really, they follow me like puppy dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The pictures in this post take me back to my childhood when we had about 40 chickens on our farmette. Now, our chickens were of a different breed: a cross between game and bantam. But they produced plenty of eggs and, yes, some good eating. I did learn early on not to become attached to any chickens who were going to become a meal.

    Our longest-lived rooster was a sweetheart, really. He never spurred a human being. But he did take "good care" of his hens. LOL.

    We finally had to get rid of all our chickens when they took to flying over the house and raiding the property next door. That property was a plant nursery, and our chickens kept digging up Mr. Smith's planted seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristin,

    I am lol reading your line about the chickens "follow me like puppy dogs" and then reading Conservative Ladies' line about "stay of execution".

    As the saying goes but using a different animal;
    "Like sheep being led to the slaughter house"

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Christopher: There is much truth in that statement. At least the girls are safe, eh? I only have a couple of birds who have anything to worry about.

    @ AoW: I can see how your chickens' visits next door would be frowned upon. The other day, my son ran in the house yelling "the chickens are at the garden". Right away I had visions of pecked tomatoes and devoured chard. Fortunately, they were outside the fence! I have a rabbit fence surrounded by a 7-ft electrified deer fence. I really didn't think the chickens would tackle that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OK Kristin, I am sending you a cleaning bill for making me laugh yet again while drinking coffee!

    You will have to post a picture of your garden,,lol,,it sounds more like a military compound!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Homegrown chicken tastes grood. Enjoy Woody. He earned it :-) !

    ReplyDelete
  11. who knew I'd be loving chicken again! my belly laughs feel really good. thanks, everyone, for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're all still awaiting pics of your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the reminder, Betty. I'll take some as soon as the dew point drops under 74.

    ReplyDelete